News Item: Despite overwhelming evidence, party officials deny accusations that wannabe First Lady Melania Trump plagiarized First Lady Michelle Obama in her speech at the Republican National Convention this week in Cleveland.
Here are 13 other things Republicans claim Lady Trumpette also originally said…
- “Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.”(1)
- “You ask, what is our policy? I can say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalog of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory. Victory at all costs—victory in spite of all terrors—victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival.”(2)
- “Gentlemen may cry, ‘Peace! Peace!’ But there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”(3)
“I have a dream.”(4)
- “It ain’t over ’til it’s over.”(5)
- “It was we, the people; not we, the white male citizens; nor yet we, the male citizens; but we, the whole people, who formed the Union. And we formed it, not to give the blessings of liberty, but to secure them; not to the half of ourselves and the half of our posterity, but to the whole people—women as well as men.”(6)
- “Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.”(7)
- “I am not a crook.”(8)
- “No one can make you inferior without your consent.”(9)
- “I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.”(10)
- “I don’t think well of people who are prejudiced against people because of race. The only way for prejudiced people to change is for them to decide for themselves that all human beings should be treated fairly. We can’t force them to think that way.”(11)
- “I’m not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.”(12)
- “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven; blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted; blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth; blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled; blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy; blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God; blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God; blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”(13)
(1) Previously believed to have been said by President John F. Kennedy in his 1961 inaugural address.
(2) Previously believed to have been said by Winston Churchill in 1940.
(3) Previously believed to have been said by Patrick Henry in 1775.
(4) Previously believed to have been said by Martin Luther King in 1963.
(5) Previously believed to have been said by baseball great Yogi Berra.
(6) Previously believed to have been said by Susan B. Anthony in 1873.
(7) Previously believed to have been said by Abraham Lincoln at the Gettysburg Address in 1863.
(8) Previously believed to have been said by President Richard Nixon in November 1973.
(9) Previously believed to have been said by for First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt.
(10) Previously believed to have been said by British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
(11) Previously believed to have been said by social and human rights activist Rosa Parks.
(12) Previously believed to have been said by Martin Luther King the day before his assassination in 1968.
(13) Previously believed to have been said by Jesus Christ at the Sermon on the Mount.